Monday, December 3, 2012

You Are What You Think! Think Happy to BE Happy!


Choose Happiness!

Each day, roughly 60,000 thoughts will cross your mind. What are you thinking about? Are your thoughts positive or are they negative? Do you feel happy most days or sad?  Of these 60,000 thoughts, it’s up to you, to make sure that 59,999 of them are not wasted on negative, self-defeating thoughts.

We’ve all heard that you are what you eat, right? But what about You are what You think? Every thought you have creates a physiological response in the body.
The more positive thoughts your have, the more likely you will feel positive and happy.  This type of cognitive-physiological response is one of the reason depression and other mental disorders are so hard to break. When you feel like shit, you think like shit, and so on, and so on.

There are of course, obstacles throughout life that may make happiness much more difficult to maintain, but ultimately, happiness is a choice. Happiness is a Choice. When you can consciously choose happiness, seeing the world as a beautiful, exciting, and happy place is far more likely.  You can play the victim card and see the world as against you, or, you can take these negative, frustrating obstacles as an opportunity for growth and see the world as an exciting labyrinth with more than one path to the life you want.

Many people believe that external circumstances, and/or individuals are the cause of personal suffering. In reality, it’s an internal process. It’s our personal perceptions and interpretations of external circumstances that cultivates suffering; or lack there of. For example, last summer I got into an argument with my brother about something random and I got upset. He stopped and said, “Why are you getting so upset?” I told him, “Because YOU are saying this and that and YOU’RE making me feel this way!” He stopped and responded with, “Am I making you feel like that or is it how you’re perceiving what I’m saying? You’re choosing to get upset.” Of course, it was how I perceived what he was saying, and so I got defensive. In reality, my brother wasn’t trying to get a reaction out of me, but I perceived it that way. My reaction was driven by defensive thoughts, and then defensive emotion (i.e. anger). I got upset, but thankfully only for a few moments till I found reality again. In hindsight, had I remained calm and conscious, I would have remembered that the manifestation of my defensive, angry emotions, were mine alone. I chose to get upset, albeit, in that moment, unconsciously.

There are likely endless scenarios where you may recall reacting negatively because you perceived a situation negatively. It’s up to you to become aware of your thoughts, and do positive things with them. Really, where are your negative thoughts taking you? I would bet, into a negative, bitter world. You can choose to see the world as against you, or you can choose to see yourself in a world where you control your feelings, emotions and behaviors and ultimately, youcontrol your world.


We see the world, not the way it is, but the way we are.

~Talmud


Top photo Source: google.co.nz via Madeline on Pinterest
Q4YMDW7KNH45


No comments:

Post a Comment